Can buttermilk be dairy free!? It certainly can! What's more, you can make your own dairy-free alternative to buttermilk at home.
Fresh coconut milk is a great dairy-free milk substitute. You can use it to make buttermilk and season it to your taste for a healthy and refreshing summer drink.
This recipe uses fresh coconut which is good for skin and hair. It rejuvenates and cools the body. The acidic lemon juice helps to curdle the coconut milk.
What you'll need
- 1 glass of thin, freshly extracted coconut milk*
- A pinch of Himalayan salt
- A pinch of dry ginger powder
- A pinch of mint
- Half a lemon and coriander leaves for garnishing.
How to make it
Blend all the ingredients together and garnish with the coriander leaves and lemon wedge.
* Extract coconut milk by grinding fresh grated coconut and water for a minute. Strain and squeeze out all the milk. Repeat this one more time for thinner milk. You can use the leftover fibre to make curries.
(The Good Food Guide brings you weekly recipes for wholesome meals that you can easily cook at home. The guide is published in partnership with My Learning Game.)
Sharmila is a yoga therapist who takes sessions for particular ailments.